The Rocky Mountains are a wondrous beauty to behold, but the weather can be unpredictable due to the altitude (over 7,500 feet above sea level). You will need to bring clothing and gear for a variety of conditions.
- comfortable jeans and/or lightweight breathable pants
- t-shirts — 100% synthetic works best
- socks — we suggest wool or synthetic that properly fit your footwear
- lightweight base layer (typically called long underwear)
- mid layer (e.g. long sleeve shirt, hoodie/comfortable warm pants, fleece vest or jacket) — lightweight synthetic breathable materials are best
- light hiking boots, trail shoes with ankle support.
- a warm outer layer, preferably water resistant.
- stocking cap for the very cool alpine conditions and for sleeping
- hat for sun protection
- personal travel items (shaving kit)
- sunscreen — the sun can be very strong at higher altitude
- insect repellent (your choice)
- lip balm, or hand cream if desired
- prescription medications (if needed); bring extras for emergencies
- warm beverage cup (plate and utensils are provided)
- nalgene water bottle or equivalent
- daypack — lightweight and large enough to carry extra clothes, water and food
- camera and batteries
- one pair of quick-dry synthetic pants to be used for wade fishing
- one pair of rubber soled sandals with good grip and support to be used for wade fishing.
- Alternative to sandals and recommended-one pair of wading boots designed for wade fishing.
- one long sleeved, quick dry shirt
- one wide brimmed hat for sun protection
Please note: The water temperatures on the Arkansas River will range from mid 50’s to mid 60 degrees f. You may want to consider renting a pair of waders and boots from your local fly shop. Generally the cost is $30.00 per day with a discount for multiple days.